Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hope?

I've been drinking wine. And hanging out with my mother's friends. They are somewhat wild and irreverent and rejuvenating? But I wonder what my future is. Men who constantly desire and comment on younger women? That's something we discussed. It's nauseating. It is the ultimate objectification of women. That even after they have been supports and lovers and constant companions, men still want younger women, and it's acceptable for people to discuss that desire in public. A woman falling out of love. That should not be revolutionary. I spent time with three women in their fifties, who are in their own right, phenomenal, and yet defined by their husbands, in one way or another. God, I have no hope. Do I succumb to this definition? Wait to find the man who defies it? It's so depressing. Where is Prince Charming? Cliche though that may be, people keep it alive and it becomes idealized and unattainable, but still idealized, presented as the desirable and optimal option. Maybe it's really not. I turned my phone off. It gives me relief. Is that terrible? My throat hurts. Ugh! Chain of Fools?

No comments:

Post a Comment